How to get started with FontLab 7
With FontLab 7, you can create, open, modify, draw, space, kern, hint and export desktop, web, color and variable fonts. The app is an all-around font editor, but also supports data interchange with other font creation tools, making it easy to integrate into your existing workflows.
First, download and install FontLab 7. This will start your 30-day trial period. Then, buy a FontLab 7 license. Then, get your serial number. Finally, activate your FontLab 7 with your serial number.
1. Download and install FontLab 7
Download the FontLab 7 installer
Download and install the FontLab 7 installer for your operating system.
If you cannot install the Windows 64-bit version of FontLab, you may have a 32-bit version of Windows. In this case, download the Windows 32-bit installer.
The links above are the same installers as the trial versions available from the FontLab 7 website. At any time, you can download the installers again from our website.
Install FontLab 7 on Windows
- Double-click the downloaded .exe and follow the on-screen instructions. Install the included Python unless you are sure you have the matching version of Python installed.
- When the installation is complete, run FontLab 7 from your Start menu.
Install FontLab 7 on macOS
- Double-click the downloaded .dmg and drag FontLab 7 to your Applications folder.
- Go to your Applications folder in Finder.
- Double-click FontLab 7.app.
2. Buy a FontLab 7 license
Upgrade to FontLab 7
You can buy FontLab 7 at a discounted price if you have a license for any of the following apps:
- FontLab VI
- FontLab Studio 5
- FontLab 3 or 4
- Fontographer 4.7 or newer
- TypeTool 3
- Glyphs 1 or newer (not Glyphs Mini!)
- RoboFont 1 or newer
If you bought FontLab VI on August 1, 2019 or later, you’re entitled to a free upgrade to FontLab 7.
If you have TypeTool 2 or older, or Fontographer 4.1 or older, buy an upgrade to the newest version of that editor together with the upgrade to FontLab 7.
See if you bought an upgrade below for details!
FontLab 7 for Education
If you’re a student or a teacher (staff, faculty) at an accredited college or university, you can buy one license per app for yourself using our individual educational discount prices.
If you represent an educational institution (a high school, college or university), and you’d like to install our apps in a computer lab, or to install our apps on your students’ own computers, you can buy 8 or more licenses of apps with a single purchase, with an even steeper discount.
Visit our FontLab for Education page for more info.
New FontLab 7 license
If you haven’t used a font editor before, buy the full license for FontLab 7.
3. Get your FontLab 7 serial number
When you buy FontLab 7, we will send you a unique serial number. Please store it safely, and use it when you install FontLab 7 on a new computer. The FontLab 7 serial number will look similar to this (this is just an example): FL70 20DIG ITSAN DORLE TTERS. You can use the same serial number to install FontLab 7 on either Windows or macOS.
If you bought a Full license
If you bought a full license from our store, you can download your serial number directly from the My Downloads section of our store, and we will immediately send you your serial number to the e-mail address you provided during checkout.
If you have not received the serial number within 15 minutes, check your spam folder for an e-mail with the subject FontLab Store - Order 12345 or similar.
If you still did not get your serial number, send an e-mail to email@example.com with the subject FontLab 7 FULL license need serial number.
If you bought the 2x FULL license bundle
If you bought a 2x FULL license bundle from our store, you need to tell us the names and e-mail addresses of both users to which we should issue the serial numbers, and we will send you both serial numbers.
Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject FontLab 7x2 license need serial number. In the e-mail, tell us the name and e-mail address of both users (this can also be one and the same user).
If you bought an Educational license
Send an e-mail to email@example.com with the subject FontLab 7 ACADEMIC license need serial number, and with an attached scan or photo of your student or staff ID. We will typically reply within one working day.
If you bought an Upgrade from FontLab VI, FontLab Studio, Fontographer or TypeTool
If you have bought an upgrade license, you need to provide proof of your previous app version ownership to receive your new FontLab 7 serial number.
- When you click Checkout to finalize your purchase, you’ll be presented with several steps. In Step 5 (Payment Method), enter your existing serial number for the FontLab app you own.
- If this did not work, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject FontLab 7 UPGRADE license need serial number, and in the e-mail, write your old serial number for the app from which you upgrade. We will typically reply within one working day.
If you bought a license as a Glyphs or RoboFont user
- Open the app you own (Glyphs or RoboFont).
- If you have Glyphs, from the app menu choose Registration
- If you have RoboFont, from the app menu choose License
- Take the screenshot of your screen that shows the dialog box displaying the license: Press Shift+Cmd+3. macOS will save the screenshot on your Desktop as a PNG file. If this did not happen, press the shortcut specified in System Preferences › Keyboard › Shortcuts › Screenshots › Save picture of screen as a file.
- Send an e-mail to email@example.com with the subject FontLab 7 UPGRADE license need serial number. In the e-mail, write the name and version of the app you have (Glyphs or RoboFont) and attach the screenshot of the license that you have taken. We will typically reply within one working day.
4. Activate FontLab 7 with your serial number
When you install and run FontLab 7, the app will start a 30-day trial, during which the app is fully functional. So, install the app and start working in the trial mode right away! If you’re are waiting for your serial number to arrive (for example, if you’ve purchased an upgrade or educational license), run the app in trial mode until you have your serial number.
When you receive your FontLab 7 serial number, run FontLab 7 and activate it with the serial number. You need to be connected to the internet to activate. If you have any problems with activating the app, visit our support website to check the FAQ or to contact our support team.